Residential Access Modification Program (RAMP)

Residential Access Modification Program (RAMP) – The Residential Access Modification Program (RAMP) provides grants to help lower-income Albertans with mobility challenges modify their homes so they can enter and move around more easily.

Alberta Aids to Daily Living (AADL)

The Alberta Aids to Daily Living (AADL) program has limited funds available for basic power wheelchairs. Many private insurance plans will also provide partial or full funding for power mobility. Service clubs and community organizations are often willing to raise money for power wheelchairs.

Eligibility Criteria

You may be eligible for benefits through Alberta Aids to Daily Living (AADL) if you:

  • are an Alberta resident,
  • have a valid Alberta Personal Health Card, and
  • require assistance because of a long-term disability, chronic illness or terminal illness. Long-term and chronic are defined as being six months or longer.

Each benefit has specific eligibility criteria that must be met.

You may not be eligible for AADL benefits if you are eligible to receive comparable benefits from another source, including:

  • Veterans Affairs (if you are a veteran who needs help because of a medical condition you got during active duty)
  • Workers’ Compensation Board
  • Non-Insured Health Benefits (NIHB) Directorate, First Nations and Inuit Branch, Health Canada. People who have treaty status on or off a reserve receive assistance from NIHB with their medical equipment and supplies.
  • a private insurance plan

Benefits provided through AADL include:

  • Bathing and toileting equipment
  • Hospital beds and accessories
  • Patient lifters
  • Specialized seating devices
  • Walkers and walking aids
  • Wheelchair cushions and accessories
  • Wheelchairs – manual and power

Click here for more information on the Alberta Aids to Daily Living Program.

The Home Adaptations for Independence (HAFI) program provides financial assistance to help eligible low-income seniors and people with disabilities in British Columbia to continue to live in the comfort of their home.

Get more information at:

Adapt a Home for a Person Experiencing Disability

The Saskatchewan Home Repair Program – Adaptation for Independence Program provides financial assistance to low-income homeowners or rental property owners to make a home more accessible for a person with a housing related disability.

Benefit: Eligible applicants may receive a forgivable loan of up to $23,000.

Eligibility: Homeowners are eligible if they:

  • own and occupy the property as their primary residence;
  • have a household member with a housing-related disability; and,
  • have annual household income and asset levels at or below the limits established by Saskatchewan Housing Corporation.

Rental property owners are eligible if they:

  • rent the modified units to low-income households that include a person with a housing-related disability;
  • maintain affordable rents based on Saskatchewan Housing Corporation’s rent schedule for the term of the loan; and
  • have tenants with an annual household income at or below the limits established by Saskatchewan Housing Corporation.

For more information and application forms please click here.

Saskatchewan’s SAIL program

Saskatchewan Aids to Independent Living (SAIL) provides assistance to people with physical disabilities to live a more active and independent lifestyle. It also helps people in the management of certain chronic health conditions.

Benefit: The Ministry of Health offers these benefits to people who require them. Programs include:

  • Prosthetics and Orthotics Program
  • Mobility and Assistive Devices (Special Needs Equipment) Program
  • Therapeutic Nutritional Products Program
  • Respiratory Equipment Program
  • Home Oxygen Program
  • Children’s Enteral Feeding Pump Program
  • Compression Garment Program

Eligibility: To be eligible for SAIL, you must:

  • Be a resident of Saskatchewan (check your eligibility for health benefits in Saskatchewan);
  • Possess a valid Saskatchewan Health Services Number;
  • Be referred for service by an authorized health care professional;
  • Use a service in Saskatchewan, unless pre-authorized by Saskatchewan Health; and
  • Not receive benefits from other government agencies such as Saskatchewan Government Insurance (SGI), Worker’s Compensation Board, Health Canada (Non-Insured Health Benefits Program), or Department of Veterans Affairs

Manitoba Medical Equipment Funding Sources

Manitoba’s Employment and Income Assistance program through Manitoba Family and Housing Services, among many other services, supplies mobility products, lifts, ramps and other medical equipment to residents of Manitoba. Below I’ve copied the details of 4 sections Health Services Program.

For more information on their services click here.

Medical Supplies and Equipment

In Manitoba, the Regional Health Authorities (RHA) have operational responsibility for the Home Care Program including planning, delivery and ongoing management of the services. Home Care services may include personal care assistance, home support, health care, family relief, respite care, medical supplies and equipment, and adult day programs. These services are provided by the RHA’s, other contracted health care professionals such as the Victorian Order of Nurses, Community Therapy Services and other service providers.

The Home Care Program provides a base list of medical supplies and equipment available across the province. In Winnipeg additions to this list would include electric beds, electric Hoyer lifts and ceiling track systems (up to 12 feet). The Home Care Program is responsible for providing the medical equipment and supplies to individuals who have an open Home Care file. For new medical equipment and supply requests, confirmation of eligibility may be determined by contacting the appropriate RHA.

With respect to equipment and supplies, please note the following:

  1. RHA staff will assess equipment and supplies needs for EIA participants who are receiving services from the Home Care Program and arrange for their provision.
  2. Where the equipment is not covered by the Home Care Program, ie. walkers, raised toilet seats, bath bars, urinals and bedpans, EIA staff may approve the purchase of such items based on the recommendation of a medical professional.
  3. For EIA participants who are not receiving services from the Home Care Program, EIA staff would reference the standard base Home Care list as a guide to approve the purchase of medical supplies or equipment.
  4. EIA staff should, whenever possible, order all medical equipment and supplies from the Materials Distribution Agency (MDA), a special operating agency of Manitoba Government Services. All orders should be made using the EIA – Order Form in the Medical Equipment and Supplies Catalogue provided by MDA. All items should be ordered directly from:

    Materials Distribution Agency (MDA)
    7 – 1715 St. James Street
    Winnipeg, Manitoba R3H 1H3
    Main Phone: 204 – 945-8605
    Customer Service: 1 – 800 – 561-8313
    Equipment Returns: 1 – 877 – 632-7867
    Fax: 945-5077

  5. Medical supplies and equipment not available through the MDA can be obtained from local suppliers or pharmacies. Three separate quotes are required in these circumstances.
  6. Where EIA is approached by Home Care, a participant. or advocate to share the cost of a major health related expenditure, the request must be forwarded to the Program Specialist in Service Delivery Support for approval, regardless of the cost of the item to be purchased.
  7. Hospital discharges must not be delayed when the MDA is unable to fill the order for the necessary equipment and supplies required at the time of discharge or if adequate discharge planning time is not available. The requirement for three separate quotes from vendors for the health equipment or supplies can be waived in this circumstance.

Wheelchairs, Wheelchair Repairs

Wheelchair requests for EIA participants must include an assessment by an occupational therapist and/or a doctor. EIA should provide approval for wheelchairs that meet the basic needs of the participant.

Manitoba Health loans wheelchairs without charge to all eligible Manitobans through the Manitoba Community Wheelchair Program. Eligible Manitobans include persons living in the community and does not include persons living in an institution, such as a personal care home. The Manitoba Community Wheelchair Program must be the first source for obtaining wheelchairs for Employment and Income Assistance participants (EIA) who live in the community.

Persons residing in personal care homes or other institutions are responsible for obtaining their own wheelchair, unless they have been loaned a wheelchair from the Manitoba Community Wheelchair Program at least six months prior to entering the institution. If they meet the latter condition, they may keep the wheelchair and continue to have it serviced by the Program. In those situations where the individual is responsible for the cost of a wheelchair and is an EIA participant, the EIA program will provide the wheelchair. These requests must be sent through to SMD to check the EIA volunteer equipment pool for a wheelchair. If there is no suitable wheelchair, SMD will provide EIA with a recommendation of an appropriate supplier.

The Society for Manitobans with Disabilities (SMD) is contracted by Manitoba Health to distribute and repair wheelchairs. As the provider of the Province’s generic wheelchair program, SMD should be utilized as the primary supplier of standard manual and motorized wheelchairs for EIA participants. Wheelchairs can be obtained from:

Wheelchair Services
Society for Manitobans with Disabilities
1111 Winnipeg Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3E 0S2
Toll Free: 1-800-836-5551
Fax: 975-3240

Wheelchair Elevators, Lifts and Ramps

If the cost is greater than $3,000.00, requests for the elevators, lifts and ramps should be referred to the Minister’s designate in the Central Office, for an assessment of the participant’s home regarding cost and suitability for installation, before a requisition is made. The assessment will be considered a major repair.

Ontario Assistive Devices Program (ADP)

The Ontario Ministry of Health has implemented this program to assist in purchasing many types of medical equipment for Ontario residents with a valid Ontario Health Card.

The device categories are listed below:

Communication Devices, Diabetes Supplies, Enteral Feeding Supplies, Hearing Devices, Orthotic Devices, Ostomy Supplies, Pressure Modification Devices, Prosthetic Devices (Breast, Limb, Ocular, Maxillofacial), Respiratory Devices, Visual Devices, Wheelchairs, Positioning and Ambulation Aids


To qualify, you must:

  • be an Ontario resident
  • have a valid Ontario health card
  • have a disability requiring a mobility aid for six months or longer

ADP does not consider your income.

In order to qualify, there must be a long-term daily basis need for the equipment generally longer than six months. Manual and Power Wheelchairs (Not Batteries), Wheelchair Cushions, Wheelchair Back Supports, Wheelchair Accessories, Scooters, Walkers, and Gait Trainers (Pediatric) are some of the items that ADP covers.


There are two levels of coverage.

  • 75% Coverage
  • 100% Coverage

75% Coverage:

The standard coverage is 75% of the cost up to a set maximum on most products.

100% Coverage:

The ADP covers 100% of the cost if you receive financial support from one of these programs:

  • Ontario Works
  • Ontario Disability Support Program
  • Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities

ADP sets the pricing for mobility equipment, and all authorized vendors charge the same amount for ADP-approved equipment. If the client opts for options or extras that ADP doesn’t cover/approve, the client will be responsible for the full cost of those items.

How to Apply:

Follow these four steps to apply:

  • Get in contact with Westin Healthcare at +1 905-451-7743
  • We will arrange for an occupational therapist or physiotherapist registered with the ADP to examine you.
  • We will do an assessment with an occupational therapist along with a demo product to verify your needs.
  • We will do the ADP application with the help of the occupational therapist or physiotherapist.

Approval times for applications can vary from 4 weeks to as many as 12 weeks.

ADP does not cover the fees charged by these assessors; however, if you are a patient of a facility (Rehab Centre, Hospital, etc.), there is a good chance the assessment will be done without a fee to you.

What happens next

ADP will review your application within eight weeks of receiving it.

If your application is not approved

If you order or buy the mobility aid(s) before they complete the review, and your application is denied, you are responsible for the full cost.

If your application has been denied, you will receive a letter from us telling you the reason for the denial and how you can follow up, including appealing our decision.

If your application is approved

If your application is approved, ADP will contact us and the occupational therapist/physiotherapist by mail.

We will contact you and arrange a time for your mobility aid to be delivered if it has not already been provided.

When you get the mobility aid(s), you must pay your 25% share. ADP will pay the 75% separately.

High technology power wheelchairs

A high-technology power wheelchair has a dynamic power tilt and/or recline.

If you’re applying to the ADP for one of these wheelchairs, you must buy it from the Central Equipment Pool for High Technology Wheelchairs (CEP).

The CEP:

  • sells high technology power wheelchairs at a discounted price.
  • gives rebates for equipment returned to the pool when no longer needed
  • provides all routine maintenance and repair

The objective of the Assistive Devices Program (ADP) is to provide consumer-centred support and funding to Ontario residents who have long-term physical disabilities and to provide access to personalized assistive devices appropriate for the individual’s basic needs.

Devices covered by the program are intended to enable people with physical disabilities to increase their independence through access to assistive devices responsive to their individual needs.

Equipment Funded by ADP

ADP covers over 8,000 separate pieces of equipment or supplies in the following categories: prostheses; wheelchairs/mobility aids and specialized seating systems; enteral feeding supplies; monitors and test strips for insulin-dependent diabetics (through an agreement with the Canadian Diabetes Association); hearing aids; insulin pumps and supplies; respiratory equipment; orthotic devices (braces), pressure modification devices for burns and lymphedema (garments and pumps); visual and communication aids; home oxygen therapy.

Grants are provided for ostomy supplies, breast prostheses and for needles and syringes for insulin-dependent seniors.


Eligibility includes any Ontario resident who has a valid Ontario Health card issued in their name and has a physical disability of six months or longer. Equipment cannot be required exclusively for sports, work or school. ADP does not pay for equipment available under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board or to Group “A” veterans for their pensioned benefits. There are specific eligibility criteria which apply to each device category.

An individual who has a chronic illness or dysfunction that requires long-term oxygen therapy may be eligible for home oxygen funding.

Accessing ADP

Initial access is often through a medical specialist or general practitioner who provides a diagnosis. In most device categories, an authorizer assesses the specific needs of the person and prescribes appropriate equipment or supplies. Finally, a vendor sells the equipment or supplies to the client.

In some device categories, such as adult hearing aids or prosthetic devices, the assessor is also the vendor.


Most devices must be authorized by a qualified health care professional registered with the program. Registered authorizers work in hospitals, home care agencies or private practice.


The program will only help pay for equipment that is purchased from vendors registered with the Assistive Devices Program.

Financial Assistance

ADP pays up to 75 per cent of the cost of equipment, such as artificial limbs, orthopaedic braces, wheelchairs and breathing aids. For others, such as hearing aids, the ADP contributes a fixed amount. For ostomy supplies, breast prostheses and needles and syringes for seniors, the ADP pays a grant directly to the person. ADP pays 100 per cent of the ADP price for home oxygen and related equipment for seniors 65 years of age or older and for individuals 64 years of age or younger who are on social assistance, residing in a long-term care home or who are receiving professional services, and 75 per cent of the ADP price for all others.

In most cases, the client pays a share of the cost at time of purchase and the vendor bills ADP the balance.

For ADP supply categories where grants are paid, the client pays 100 per cent of the cost to the vendor.

There are many sources of funding for the client’s share of the cost including:

  • clients
  • voluntary/charitable organizations e.g. March of Dimes, The Easter Seals Society, Kiwanis, Lions Clubs
  • social assistance, DVA
  • insurance companies
  • relatives/friends.

The Program provides funding for basic home and/or vehicle modifications, and is intended to assist permanent Ontario residents with a substantial impairment expected to last one year or more, with their disability management. By reducing or eliminating life safety risks, these modifications enable children and adults with mobility restrictions to:

  • continue living in their homes
  • avoid job loss, and
  • participate in their communities.

To review eligibility criteria please visit the website: or contact the program at:
Toll Free: 1-877-369-4867
Fax: (519) 432-4923

March of Dimes Canada Assistive Devices Program (not to be confused with the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care’s Assistive Devices Program) assists adults with physical disabilities who are in financial need to purchase assistive devices that increase their mobility and functional independence.

The Program can help to buy, repair and maintain a wide variety of mobility or assistive equipment.

To review eligibility criteria please visit the website: or contact the program at:
Toll Free: 1-866-765-7237
Fax: (519) 432-4923

For The Love of a Child concerned with improving the quality of life for children with special needs, living in Durham Region. Their mandate is to help families in need, through financial assistance and to encourage community understanding.

This agency has a Financial Assistance Program. It is important that the parents of children who may need equipment in their future and who may need financial assistance register the child with Easter Seals as early as possible. (telephone 416 421 – 8377) The eligibility criterion for financial assistance for equipment is for children with physical disabilities not developmental disabilities such as Down Syndrome or Autism. The exception to this is the incontinence supply grant program. For more information and on line application visit

President’s Choice Children’s Charity provides financial assistance for families in need, in a variety of areas. Please contact them directly for further information. Email or call 416-218-7918.

Ministry of Children and Youth Services provides information regarding child welfare, family intervention services, children’s community support services, children’s mental health services, and child care. This includes funding programs and services for Children with Special Needs.

This organization provides funding that is paid monthly to eligible families with a child under 18 years of age, who has disability, and has extraordinary costs, such as respite/relief care; transportation; special clothing, diet and medical expenses; and educational and social fees. The size of the family and total family income (gross) determine the amount granted.

Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) Intended to meet the needs of people with disabilities and help them to become more independent.

This foundation’s mission is to improve the quality of life of chronically and seriously ill children and their families. The child must be under 21 years of age and the family must have exhausted all other means of financial assistance through government or insurance agencies. Most applications take up to 1 month to process. Call for an application to be faxed or mailed. Telephone: 905-852-1799, E-mail:

Most service clubs do not have established programs for funding medical equipment but as a last resort will often help out people who have exhausted other avenues of funding and are still short of the total needed. When applying to a service club for funding it’s a good idea to have a record of the funding sources you have already approached and the result of each.

Kin Canada is an all-Canadian service organization made up of dedicated member volunteers who serve their community’s greatest need through hosting and sponsoring events and community service projects. Since its founding, Kin, Kinsmen and Kinette clubs across Canada have contributed more than $1 billion to Canadian communities and disaster relief programs beyond our borders.

Telephone: 519-653-1920

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.

Residential Adaptation

This program provides financial assistance for people with disabilities to cover some of the cost of adapting and making their homes accessible.


All people with disabilities, whose limitations affect their daily activities, are eligible for the program regardless of their income.

Program objective

  • To help people with disabilities pay for the cost of work needed to adapt their homes and make them accessible.
  • To increase the autonomy of people with disabilities.
  • To help people with disabilities remain in their homes.

Amount of financial assistance

Depending on the type of household, the grant may vary between $4,000 and $16,000:

  • Owner household: grant of up to $16,000.00
  • Tenant household: grant of up to $8,000.00
  • Boarder household: grant of up to $4,000.

Management of the program

The Société d’habitation du Québec manages the program in collaboration with its agents, namely the regional county municipalities and some individual municipalities.

Sharing of costs

  • The program is funded by the Société d’habitation du Québec.
  • The Société d’habitation du Québec and the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation share the cost of home adaptations for low-income disabled individuals.

Areas covered

The program covers the whole of Québec, except for Indian reserves.

Determination of eligible work

The Société d’habitation du Québec determines what work is eligible based on a report from an occupational therapist.

Please click here for more information.

Please note that this information was compiled in 2006 and may not be completely accurate at this time but I’ve included it as every possible funding lead is worth checking out. We would appreaciate it if anyone has updated information would please contact us.

Department Family and Community Services

P.O. Box 6000
Fredericton, NB E3B 5H1
Telephone: (506) 453-2001
Fax: (506) 453-7478

Regional offices:

Acadian Peninsula (866) 441-4149
Chaleur (866) 441-4341
Edmundston (866) 441-4249
Fredericton (866) 444-8838
Miramichi (866) 441-4246
Moncton (866) 426-5191
Restigouche (866) 441-4245
Saint John (866) 441-4340

The Health Services Program

The Health Services Program under Family and Community Services also referred to as the health card, assists eligible clients with the purchase of certain basic items not ordinarily covered by Medicare or private health plans. Programs include Dental, Vision, Convalescent/ Rehab (including wheelchairs and seating), Hearing Aid, Hyperalimentation, Orthopedic, Ostomy/ Incontinence, Oxygen, Pharmaceutical (allergy serum only) and Prosthetic. Please refer to the Health Services section of the FCS website for more detailed information regarding benefits at

Note: Convalescent equipment may be recycled and loaned, when appropriate, through an arrangement with Easter Seals NB.

A health card is provided to the following clients of the Department of Family and Community Services:

  • Social Assistance clients and their dependents;
  • Individuals who have special health needs and qualify under Section 4.4 of the Family Income Security Act and Regulations for extended health care;
  • Children in the care of the Minister;
  • Residents of nursing homes, special care homes, community residences and psychiatric hospitals;
  • Children with special needs who are clients of the Community Based Services for Children with Special Needs Program (CBSCSN), where the family demonstrates financial needs. These children may receive a health card for specific items directly related to the child?s special needs; and
  • Children where it has been recommended that income assistance be provided for board and lodging (Section 22).

Department of Finance

Vehicle Tax Refund for Disabled Persons

Upon the purchase of a motor vehicle in the Province of New Brunswick, the New Brunswick Government may refund the 8% provincial portion of the Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) or 13% Provincial Tax (PVT) on private sale transactions for persons with disabilities if:

  • the motor vehicle is specially equipped with a device to enable a wheelchair or scooter to enter or leave the passenger vehicle (i.e. hydraulic lifts); or
  • the motor vehicle is specially equipped with auxiliary driving controls (does not include spinner knobs) that are usedto facilitate the operation of the passenger vehicle; and
  • the motor vehicle is not operated by any person for the purpose of earning a profit for any person or as part of any undertaking carried on for gain; and
  • the claimant is not eligible for any other GST/HST credit or rebate related to this purchase.

Applications for refund of the 8% provincial portion of the Harmonized Sales Tax ( HST), form #HST-R-02, or 13% Provincial Vehicle Tax (PVT) form #PVT-R-01, can be obtained at any Service New Brunswick Centre or by contacting the Revenue & Taxation Division, Department of Finance at (506) 453-2404.

Along with the application the claimant must submit the following necessary supporting documents:

For refund of the 8% provincial portion of the Harmonized Sales Tax (HST):

  • (a) Copy of Bill of Sale and/or New Brunswick Tax Receipt;
  • (b) Proof that motor the vehicle is specially equipped with a device to enable a wheelchair or scooter to enter or leave the passenger vehicle; or
  • (c) Proof that motor vehicle is fitting with auxiliary driving controls that are used to facilitate the operation of the passenger vehicle, truck, or van;
  • (d) Letter from a medical practitioner certifying that the person is disabled.

For refund of the 13% Provincial vehicle Tax (PVT) on private sale transactions:

  • (a) Copy of Bill of Sale and New Brunswick Tax Receipt;
  • (b) Proof that the motor vehicle is specially equipped with a device to enable a wheelchair or scooter to enter or leave the passenger vehicle; or
  • (c) Proof that the motor vehicle is fitting with auxiliary driving controls that are used to facilitate the operation of the passenger vehicle, truck, or van;
  • (d) Letter from a medical practitioner certifying that the person is disabled.

Applications, along with supporting documents, can be mailed to:

Department of Finance
Revenue and Taxation Division, Refund Section
P.O. Box 3000
Fredericton, N.B. E3B 5G5
Inquiries on refund eligibility and/or criteria can be made to the Revenue and Taxation Division of the Department of Finance at : (506) 453-2404

Please note: Any inquiry on eligibility for obtaining a refund of the HST paid on adaptive equipment placed on such motor vehicles or the 6% portion of the Harmonized Sales Tax paid on the purchase of the motor vehicle must be made to the Canada Revenue Agency at (800) 959-5525.

Department of Post-Secondary Education, Training and Labour

1) Student Financial Services Branch

P.O. Box 6000
548 York Street
Fredericton, NB E3B 5H1
Telephone: (506) 453-2577
Toll-free: 1 (800) 667-5626
Fax: (506) 444-4333

Post secondary students with a disability may be eligible for a grant for up to $8,000.00 a year from the federal government to cover exceptional education-related costs associated with certain permanent disabilities. To apply for the Canada Study Grant for the Accommodation of Students with Permanent Disabilities, one must apply to the Student Loan Program to demonstrate need and fill out a separate application form for the grant.

Rehabilitation equipment needed in order to participate in the educational program are eligible expenses to be considered for the grant, along with other supports.

In addition, a new Canada Access Grant for Students with Permanent Disabilities is now available to address the unmet financial need of students with disabilities. The CSG-PD is designed to provide an incentive to students with permanent disabilities to participate in post secondary studies and decrease financial barriers. Persons with disabilities will be allowed an up-front grant of up to $2,000 to help reduce reliance on student loans.

Veterans Affairs Canada

Atlantic Region
40 Alderney Drive
Halifax, N.S. B2Y 2N5
Toll-free: 1-866-522-2122 (English) or 1-866-522-2022 (French)

New Brunswick District Offices:

157 Water St.
5th floor, room 501
Campbellton, NB E3N 3L4

Saint John:
Customs Building
189 Prince William St, 5th floor
Saint John, NB E2L 2B9

A number of programs are available to provide assistance to eligible veterans, civilians, their dependents and survivors.

The Veterans Independence Program is aimed at helping clients to remain healthy and independent in their homes and communities.

Treatment and Other Health-Related Benefits consist of medical, surgical, dental and vision care, prosthetic devices, home adaptations and supplementary benefits such as travel costs for examinations or treatment.

The Long Term Care Program looks after the needs of veterans requiring long-term institutional care.

Stan Cassidy Centre for Rehabilitation
800 Priestman Street
Fredericton, N.B. E3B 0C7
Telephone: (506) 452-5225
Fax: (506) 452-5190

This is the provincial tertiary neurological rehabilitation centre. The Centre provides professional rehabilitation services in client assessment, prescription, fabrication and/or modification of certain rehabilitation equipment related to mobility, adapted seating, communications, driving, personal care, etc.

The Centre generally relies on funding from other sources to enable the client to obtain necessary rehabilitation equipment. From time to time the Centre is also able to recycle some items donated for that purpose. Referrals on behalf of clients are also made to third parties for accessing appropriate recycled equipment.

Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation
Commission of New Brunswick

Assistive Devices Program
P. O. Box 160
Saint John, N.B. E2L 3X9
Telephone: (506) 738-4029
Fax: (506) 738-3470

The Workers? Rehabilitation Centre?s (WRC) Assistive Devices Program provides the following devices designed to maximize a client?s function and independence:

  • Prosthesis artificial limbs designed to replace an amputated limb;
  • Orthoses braces or splints designed to prevent or correct deformities, to protect painful body parts, or to improve function;
  • Wheelchairs customized for the client;
  • Specialized devices to assist with the activities of work (e.g. modified tools) and daily living (e.g. adaptations in the home).

The specialized program team consists of certified prosthetists and orthotists, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, physicians, and prosthetic / orthotic technicians. Consulting services from psychologists and dieticians are also available as needed. Services related to this program are provided by the entire multidisciplinary team, or representatives from a single discipline, depending upon the needs of the client.

Referral Options
The Assistive Devices Program offers the following treatment options:

  • Amputee Rehab: admission to multidisciplinary treatment team for the rehabilitation of new amputees or amputees requiring intensive rehabilitation.
  • Assistive Devices: specify artificial limb, splinting, bracing, insoles, adapted footwear, ankle support, wheelchair, ADL device.
  • Assessment: assessment by a prosthetist / orthotist, physiotherapist or occupational therapist to make recommendations regarding appropriate assistive device management.
  • Off-site evaluation / treatment: request for off-site evaluation / treatment including home evaluation, off-site prosthetic / orthotic management, wheelchair assessment, provided at the client?s home or in the region.

Canadian Cancer Society
N.B. Division
P. O. Box 2089
Saint John, N.B. E2L 3T5
Telephone: (506) 634-6272 / 1-800-455-9090
Fax: (506) 634-3808
Cancer information Services Line: 1-888-939-3333

The Canadian Cancer Society ? New Brunswick Division may assist cancer patients with ground transportation costs for cancer treatments (chemotherapy and radiation).

Residents of New Brunswick who have been diagnosed with cancer who are in financial need are encouraged to apply.

Our eligibility criteria use a sliding scale that takes income, expense, size of household and savings into account. To request an application, please call 1 (800) 455-9090.

The Canadian Cancer Society ? New Brunswick Division also works with Easter Seals New Brunswick to cover the cost of up to 2 pieces of recycled equipment for cancer patients in financial need.

Canadian Red Cross – NB Region
P.O. Box 39
70 Lansdowne Avenue
Saint John, N.B.
E2L 3X3
Telephone: (506) 674-6200
Fax: (506) 674-6129

24-hour Homemaker: (800) 588-4881
24-Hour Emergency Service
Contact: Greg Forestell
Telephone: 1-800-222-9597

Several types of equipment, from wheelchair cushions to specialized wheelchairs, are loaned to persons over 65 years of age through their government-funded Seniors? Rehabilitative Specialized Equipment Program [(506) 647-6150]. A written referral from a health professional is required for this service and should be directed to the Canadian Red Cross, at the above address.

Referrals for specialized equipment for individuals 65 years of age and over should be directed to the attention of the Specialized Rehabilitative Equipment Coordinator at the Regional Office in Saint John.

Standard equipment is also loaned to persons under 65 years of age. Contact (506) 674-6146.

Not all programs of the community-based senior services are offered in all areas. There are four districts in New Brunswick. If a client has any questions regarding services offered in their area, they should contact the nearest District Office:

Northern District Offices

Bathurst District Office:
216 Main Street, Suite 101
Bathurst, NB E2A 1A8
Telephone: (506) 548-2824
Fax: (506) 548-0831

Campbellton District Office:
5 Adam Street
Campbellton, NB E3N 2T9
Telephone: (506) 759-8521
Fax: (506) 753-2487

Edmundston District Office:
173 Victoria Street
Edmundston, NB E3V 2H7
Telephone: (506) 736-0050
Fax: (506) 736-0055

Grand Falls District Office:
136A Church Street
Grand Falls, NB E3Z 2N9
Telephone: (506) 473-5897
Fax: (506) 473-6974

Tracadie District Office:
613-3 Rivi?re ? la Truite Road
P.O. Box 3478, Station Main
Tracadie-Sheila, NB E1X 1G5
Telephone: (506) 395-2010
Fax: (506) 395-7223

Eastern District Offices

Moncton District Office:
246 Lutz Street
Moncton, NB E1C 5G3
Telephone: (506) 863-2650
Fax: (506) 863-2662

Richibucto District Office:
85 Acadie Street
Richibucto, NB E4W 3V2
Telephone: (506) 523-4479
Fax: (506) 523-4086

Sackville District Office:
8 Main Street
Sackville, NB E4L 4A3
Telephone: (506) 364-8813
Fax: (506) 364-0183

Central District Offices

Fredericton District Office:
318 Maple Street
Fredericton, NB E3A 3R4
Telephone: (506) 458-8445
Fax: (506) 454-7522

Woodstock District Office:
110 Richmond Street, Unit 10
Woodstock, NB E7M 2N9
Telephone: (506) 328-8881
Fax: (506) 328-3180

Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada
71 Ilsley Avenue, Unit 12
Dartmouth, N.S. B3B 1L5
Telephone: (902) 468-8230 / 1-800-268-7582
Fax: (902) 468-5328

The Equipment Provision Program assists individuals in purchasing specific equipment.

Funded equipment includes:

  • Mobility and assistive devices
  • Minor home modifications
  • Bathroom equipment (accessibility and safety devices)
  • Equipment repair
  • Air conditioners

Please contact the Coordinator of Client Services if you have questions regarding types of equipment funded.

The Special Assistance Program has been designed to meet essential quality of life needs faced by persons with MS. Funding is provided for incontinence products and Lifeline.

The Special Assistance Program ? Transportation assists with costs associated with attending unexpected medically necessary appointments which required long distance travel, or emergency transportation. Please note that all travel plans must be approved before travel is made in order to be eligible for funding.

Muscular Dystrophy Canada
56 Avonlea Court, Suite 203
Fredericton, N.B. E3C 1N8
Telephone: (506) 450-6322
Toll Free: 1-888-647-6322
Fax: (506) 458-2205

Muscular Dystrophy Canada provides, to people registered with them, basic medical equipment, on loan, from a stock of recycled devices such as scooters, manual and electric wheelchairs, and hospital beds. Some funding assistance may be available for the purchase of new equipment. If a request is made for a device that the Association does not cover, or only partially covers, Muscular Dystrophy Canada staff may be able to suggest other sources of funding.

Union of New Brunswick Indians
385 Wilsey Road, Comp 44
Fredericton, N.B. E3B 5N6
Telephone: (506) 458-9444
Fax: (506) 458-2850


Status Indians are able to access rehabilitation equipment through programs available through Non-insured Health Benefits, Health Canada.

Access-A-Home Program

This program helps people adapt their homes to become wheelchair accessible. The amount of the grant depends on your income and the maximum amount available is $5,000 forgivable grant.

Am I Eligible?

To qualify for the program, you must meet the following criteria:

  • You or a family member must be limited to a wheelchair because of a long term disability
  • You or a family member must be expected to be limited to a wheelchair within the next six months because of a long term disability
  • The modifications must be made to your main/primary home
  • If you do not own your home, you must provide written approval from the owner for the modifications
  • Your income must be less than $39,000 per year

Eligible properties

Your home is eligible for the program as long as it is your primary residence and there are no structural restrictions for making your home wheelchair accessible.

Eligible Repairs

Any additions or alterations made to your home must be permanent and should be made to improve both access and use of basic facilities. Any changes made to your home should also increase the safety of the person limited to a wheelchair.

The funding can be put toward the cost of materials, labour, taxes and other related costs.

Get more information at: Access-A-Home Program

Home Modification Program (HMP)

Funding for low-to-moderate income homeowners, seniors and persons with disabilities who require accessibility changes to their residences, which can help promote independence, self-reliance, assist with a better quality of life, and enable individuals to remain in their own homes for a longer period.

Eligibility Criteria

Low-to-moderate income homeowners seeking changes to make their homes accessible for persons with disabilities (referral from an Occupational Therapist or appropriate professional is required).

Low-to-moderate income seniors or persons with disabilities requiring home accessibility modifications to their homes (referral from local Community Health board required.

What types of repairs are eligible?

Installation of a ramp; widened doorways/halls to increase space for wheelchair

Handrails, lowered counter and work space in the kitchen

Roll/walk-in showers, bathtub grab bars; and seats

Grant/Loan Funding

NLHC provides funding to eligible homeowners in the form of grants and repayable loans. Funding is limited to the costs associated with repairs. Persons with accessibility needs may receive a forgivable grant of up to $7,500 [$7,500 in Labrador]. Repairs exceeding these levels may be addressed under a repayable loan of up to $10,000 [$13,000 in Labrador].

For further information about the Provincial Home Repair Program (PHRP) please click here.

PEI Disability Support Program

The PEI Disability Support Program is a social program with a financial component. This means it is open to all Prince Edward Islanders with a qualifying disability, and may provide financial help. It was introduced in October 2001 and replaces the Family Support and Employability Assistance for People with Disabilities (EAPD) programs.

Eligibility is determined by meeting the applicable definition of disability and by the identification of required disability-specific supports.

The program is set up to respond to individual needs. It encourages economic independence by supporting people to work and earn income. It may also offer support to children and youth who have disabilities as well as their families. An individual case plan is developed for each client to determine the needs a client may have. If a wheelchair is a need it may be funded through the program over time.

Contact Information:

Charlottetown Office

161 St. Peters Road, Charlottetown

Summerside Office (Access PEI)


Souris Office (Access PEI)


Montague Office (Access PEI)

838-0703 or 687-7016

West Prince Office,(Access PEI)


Web Site:

Home Repair/Upgrade Programs

YHC’s Home Improvement Programs offer financial and technical assistance to homeowners, owners of mobile homes situated on rental property, and owners of rental units for the repair and upgrade of living accommodations, including energy efficiency and accessibility upgrades.

Home Owners on Titled Property – Principal Residence only:

  • Home Repair Program – Low-interest financing of up to $35,000 to address one or more of the following home improvement items: structural; electrical; plumbing; heating system; fire safety; overcrowding; energy efficiency or accessibility. A home visit by one of our professional Technical Officers will help you assess your home improvement needs, benefits and options.
  • Home Repair Enhancement Program – Complementary, higher-interest financing for home improvement projects that are expected to exceed the $35,000 limit under the Home Repair Program. The higher-interest rate applies only to the financing that exceeds the Home Repair Program limit.

Owners of Mobile Homes situated on Rental Property:

  • Mobile Home Upgrade Program – Financing for undertaking mobile home improvements. The maximum loan is 95% of the projected future market value of the improved home, less any encumbrance charges.
  • Mobile Home Emergency Repair Program – Emergency repair financing to address immediate health or safety issues. If you have any such concerns about your mobile home please get in touch with Yukon Housing Corporation right away. In some cases funding may be made available under the Mobile Home Upgrade Program.

Rental Accommodations:

  • Rental Suite Program – Up to $25,000 in low-interest financing with repayment terms of up to 10 years to upgrade an existing rental suite. Technical Officer assistance to suite-owners includes provision of design and costing information to assist in project decision-making. Under certain criteria, financing may be available for the construction of a new living suite.
  • Rental Unit Rehabilitation Program – Up to $30,000 financing for improvement of residential rental units. Technical Officers pre-assess the units for structural, health and safety integrity to identify and assist the landlord in planning for these mandatory repair items within the available loan budget.

Residential Energy Management:

  • Residential Electricity Management Program – Low-interest financing for up to seven years for Yukon homeowners who want to change their primary heating system from one using electrical power to a non-electrical one. Program eligibility includes electricity consumption in excess of 1000-kilowatt hours per month through at least six months in a twelve-month period.

This program is jointly funded by Yukon Housing Corporation and Yukon Development Corporation.

For more information please click here.

Yukon Extended Health Care Benefits

Eligibility To be eligible for benefits you must be registered with the Yukon Health Care Insurance Plan (YHCIP).

If you are already registered with YCHIP, you will automatically be sent an application form during the month you turn 65. A green Pharmacare card will be issued to you once the application form has been returned and processed. It will take approximately three weeks for the card to be processed and returned.

If you have only recently moved to the Yukon, you must first register with YHCIP. The application form for Pharmacare and Extended Benefits can be filled in at the same time and a Pharmacare card will be issued to you once the registration process has been completed. It takes three months for your YHCIP coverage and seniors benefits to begin if you are new to the Yukon.

The Pharmacare card confirms your eligibility for all insured physician and hospital benefits, and seniors’ benefits.

Benefits include partial or 100 per cent coverage of the following benefits:

  • Medical-Surgical Supplies/Equipment and the plan may provide walking aids, hand inhalers, artificial eyes and limbs, respiratory equipment, commodes and manual wheelchairs
  • Hearing Aids and one hearing aid or a replacement hearing aid is allowed in a four-year period. Repair and adjustment of hearing aids is allowed once every six months. Batteries are not covered.

For more information on Yukon Extended Health Care Benefits click here.

The Easter Seal Society

Financial Assistance Program – dedicated to helping children, youth and young adults with physical disabilities achieve their full individual potential and future independence. Easter Seals funds disability solutions through financial assistance, summer camp, the Recreational Choices funding program, research, advocacy, and public and consumer education. Telephone: 416-421-8377 or 800-668-6525

For more information: Easter Seals

The MS Society

The MS Society offers two types of funding; equipment purchase and permanent loan as well as special assistance programs. Please note that funding programs vary from province-to-province. The most common service provided by most divisions and chapters is assistance with equipment to help people with MS maximize their quality of life. Divisions and chapters manage this service in various ways:

  • Information and advocacy to assist people in understanding the resources available to them through their own benefits programs and the provincial health system, etc.
  • Full or partial purchase of equipment or permanent loan

For more information: MS Society

Muscular Dystrophy Association of Canada

The MDA provides basic medical equipment, on loan, from a stock of recycled devices such as scooters, manual and electric wheelchairs, and hospital beds. Some funding assistance may be available for the purchase of new equipment.

For more information: Muscular Dystrophy

Disability Tax Credit

Revenue Canada allows some disabled people to claim $7,766.00 (2015) as a deduction on their income taxes. Most obvious disabilities are recognized however many people who are disabled due to a disease that doesn’t fit into the CRA’s narrow definitions of being disabled may be out of luck. It’s worth checking out especially for those who use wheelchairs for basic mobility.

For more information: Disability Tax Credit

Automotive Manufacturer’s Mobility Programs

Ford Mobility Program

Open to all Canadians buying a new Ford Vehicle, Ford will grant up to $1,000.00 towards installation of lifts, hand controls and other equipment. Application is made through the dealership where purchased an must be made within 6 months of purchasing a new vehicle. For more information click here.

GM Mobility Program

Also open to all Canadians, the GM Program will grant $1,000.00 towards the purchase of modifications to a new vehicle, but you have to call their mobility assistance program to find out if you qualify at 1-800-GM-DRIVE. Their web site lists several steps you should follow when purchasing adaptive equipment but I’m not sure if these steps are recommendations or requirements. Best to call and get the details. For more information click here.

Fiat/Chrysler Automobility Program

When the customer buys or leases any new Chrysler Corporation vehicle, Chrysler Corporation will provide cash reimbursement, up to $1000, to help cover the cost of installing adaptive driver or passenger equipment on the vehicle. Click Here for More Information.

Volkswagen Mobility Access Program

Volkswagen will provide up to $1,000 towards the purchase and installation of lift equipment, carriers, hand controls, pedal extensions or other assistance equipment on any eligible model. For more information click here.

Toyota Mobility Program

To help cover the costs of installing adaptive driving aids or mobility assistance equipment, the Toyota Mobility Program offers up to a $1,000 allowance to physically-challenged customers who acquire a new Toyota vehicle. Adaptive driving or passenger equipment includes, but is not limited to, wheelchair or other lift equipment, hand or other driving controls, and lifts or cart storage. Upon verification of the claim, a cheque will be mailed directly to the customer. For more information click here.

KIA Mobility Assistance Program

Kia Canada welcomes the opportunity to assist individuals with disabilities or special needs by providing up to $750 towards the purchase and installation of specialty equipment on your Kia vehicle. See your Kia dealer for full details. Limited time offer. Some conditions apply.” For more information click here.

Honda, Acura and Lexus

All have mobility programs in the U.S. but I can’t find any information on similar programs in Canada. I would certainly ask your local dealer if they have a program for Canadians.

The War Amps of Canada

National Headquarters (Ottawa)

2827 Riverside Drive

Ottawa, ON K1V 0C4

Telephone: 1 (800) 465-2677

Fax: (613) 731-3234


Web site:

Adult Prosthetics Program

Telephone: 1 (877) 622-2472

Fax: (613) 731-3234


CHAMP Program (Ottawa)

Telephone: 1 (800) 267-4023

Fax: 1 (866) 235-0350


CHAMP Program (Montréal)

Les Amputés de guerre


503 – 606 Cathcart Street

Montréal, QC H3B 1K9

Telephone: 1 (800) 265-0494

Fax: 1 (877) 600-6212


The War Amps assist, protect and bind together Canadian war, civilian and child amputees through financial assistance with artificial limbs and rehabilitation, counseling, emotional support, regional seminars and information on latest prosthetic developments.

The Adult Prosthetics Program offers assistance to amputees in Canada who register with The War Amps as adults. The program offers financial assistance towards the purchase of artificial limbs. As a charitable organization, it is important that those needing assistance also access other funding sources available to them. Adult amputees have specific issues to deal with in their adjustment to life as an amputee. To assist amputees, the National Amputee Centre has a wealth of information on artificial limbs and all areas concerning amputation. Some of this information can be found on their web site.

Child Amputee up to 18 years of age (CHAMP) Program

Children missing a limb or limbs at birth, from medical causes or due to an accident may enroll in CHAMP. The program offers financial assistance for artificial limbs and related expenses and provides financial assistance for specially designed recreational limbs and adaptive devices.


Assists “Super Champs” (multiple amputee youngsters) with computers and computer training as an educational aid now to ensure their employment opportunities in the future. Contact the CHAMP Program for more information.

National Amputee Centre

Educates amputees and family members about all aspects of amputation, including the latest information on artificial limbs and products, through a comprehensive library of information and the War Amps web ( site selection. Contact the National Amputee Centre at 1 (877) NAC-CIPA [1 (877) 622-2472] or via E-mail at for more information.

Wish Foundations

Various groups who offer to grant the wishes of children with severe disabilities or terminal illness. Please see each foundation for additional information.